New! 2017 SIT Program (Staff-In-Training)
Laurelwood's SIT program provides rising 11th graders the tools and experience they need to become future leaders, strong role models as well as Camp Laurelwood staff. It is our goal to create a positive learning environment for SITs, giving them a safe place to gain and practice skills that they will benefit from in school, camp and for the rest of their lives. It will be their most fun and challenging summer at camp, full of growth, success and reward.
The program offers a rich balance between leadership training, community outreach & practical work placements throughout the camp organization. SITs will also enjoy a mix of exciting and fun day trips as well as overnight camping throughout the summer. *Participants should be interested in becoming future staff members at Camp Laurelwood.*
Participants in the program will work closely with an SIT Supervisor as well as other SITs as they learn the skills necessary to become an effective leader, both within and outside of Camp.
SITs Will Learn:
- To be a Positive Role Model for campers
- Leadership & Team Building skills
- Tools for working with children
- Effective Listening and Communication skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Activity Programming Skills
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Lifeguarding Certifications (Optional)
Upon completion, all SIT’s will receive a written evaluation at the end of their session, a certificate confirming their volunteer hours and a cash stipend ($120 for Session 1, $90 for Session 2).
- Parents must submit a completed camper application at https://laurelwood.campintouch.com/v2/login/login.aspx?
- Once the application is received, the camp office will review the application and contact the SIT to set up a pre-camp interview.* Interviews will begin in December.
- Pre-Camp Training for all SITs will take place during the week of June 19 during our Staff Training Week.
*Please Note: Pre-Camp Interviews have been established as part of the training process. For many of the SITs, this will be the first time going through the interview process. Camp professionals will conduct interviews as well as giving feedback and suggestions to help the SITs become more proficient in the interview process.
|2016 Bonim Participants||New SITs||Stipend|